Pursuant to RCW 36.22.185, effective January 1, 2024, the Covenant Homeownership Program Assessment will take effect. This additional assessment will increase the recording fee for most documents recorded in our office by $100.00 bringing the recording costs to $303.50 for the first page and $1.00 for each additional page attached. Surveys will increase to $423.50 for the first page and $5.00 for each additional page attached. Documents exempt from the additional assessment can be found in subsection (2) of RCW 36.22.185.

Attention Veterans

Did you know that Veterans of the U.S. Armed Services are entitled to have their Form DD214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, recorded with the Mason County Auditor’s Office at no charge?

There are private commercial services that offer to provide Veterans of the Armed Forces with a service to process their DD214 recording but for a fee. These companies are not sanctioned or endorsed by Mason County or the Federal Department of Veterans Affairs. This is a service that Mason County (and all other counties in the State of Washington) provide for our Veteran’s at no cost to you pursuant to RCW 73.04.030. To record your DD214 please contact our recording division at 360-427-9670 ext. 467 or visit our office located at 411 N. 5th, St. in Shelton. Both the recording process and certified copies are provided at no cost to our Veteran’s.

Click Here to Search Recorded Documents
- OR -
Sign up for Fraud Notify
- OR -
Apply for a Marriage License

The Recording Department records all documents that affect real property/real estate and maintains them for public record. Documents need to be recorded in the County in which the land or any portion of land is situated.

The significance of recording a document is to give notice of the subject matter of the document to the public. Once recorded, a document becomes part of the official records of Mason County and is considered a permanent record.

We record surveys, plat maps, short plats and large lot subdivisions. (Mylar or Paper accepted)

We also administer and issue Marriage Licenses.

Need Copies or Certified Copies?

Copies are available on our website or in our office. Certified copies of all recorded documents can be obtained in our office or requested via email.

E-Recording with